Monday, April 15, 2013

Go Big or Go Home... literally

Well, this past weekend was our final weekend in Peru as a class. We definitely went big this weekend. We went out to the discos on Thursday night, Lanisa's family had a party for us at her house on Friday night and some of her brother's and sister's friends came, then on Saturday Luke's brother and sister had a party for us at their apartment. Its safe to say not many things got done during the day...

On Friday, the high school that we have been volunteering at for a couple of weeks, made us lunch. They were put into pairs and they all made a popular type of Peruvian food. We went around to all of the stations and they explained to us how to make their food in English. There was a ton of food, but it was all really good!! Before we left they gave us all a card. All of the kids were really nice, and their English was really good!

On Saturday my mom and sister took me shopping at Tottus (Lima's Walmart) and we bought Cuy (Guinea Pig)! It came in a vacuumed bag which was odd. For some reason I thought we would be going to something like a fish market where they have a pile of guinea pigs and you can take your pick. But I was thankfully wrong! I also got to try some different fruits, Chirimoya Cumbe and Granada, and my mom bought me an ice cream sandwich :)

Sunday my mom cooked us Guinea Pig and it was rico!! I thought it tasted really good. One of my pieces had a lot of fat on it and I was surprised by that; since it's such a small animal... It was also a lot of work for a small amount of meat. But I'm glad I got to try it before I leave Peru and I'm glad my mom made it for me, since everything she makes is yummy! After lunch, Sunday was literally a day of rest for us. We were all tired for some reason and nothing too exciting happened.

This week is our finals week!! I'm excited for classes to be over, but since it's finals week I have a lot of homework and studying to do. I had one final last week, and tomorrow I have Grammar which will be a written test with listening, Wednesday I have my Literature final and I have to write a theme/thesis over one of the stories we read (in Spanish) and on Thursday I have my Conversation final where I have to write and give a speech over a problem the world is facing and I need a video to show during class, her example was that in Lima they don't have enough water for everyone but yet they have so much green space and won't fix their pipes. Whenever Monday comes around I think, why did I not do any homework this weekend?! But then I do the same exact thing the next weekend. At least this will be my final week to procrastinate!

I'm starting to realize and get really sad that this is my final weekend with my host family and living in Peru. I'm thankful to have some time with my parents and get to travel more with them before I go back to NE. I'm excited to go back home, but I know once I get there I'm going to miss Peru. So if any one wants to take a trip to Peru, let me know! I'll definitely come with you!

Cuy and Potatoes with a spaghetti meat type sauce on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment