Thursday, January 17, 2013

More "Firsts"

I meant to blog last Sunday or Monday, but with homework, spending time with friends and my new family I end up running out of daylight. I have had a lot of "firsts" over the past week. My first week of classes and I think of it as my first weekend here. Classes went well, especially my English class... I have three Spanish classes and they are challenging but I think so far I am keeping up with them! (only 2  classes down...) but I can tell that the classes are helping my Spanish. The only thing is I don't like the classes and English so taking them in Spanish is not any better... The Spanish classes I am taking are Grammar, Literature, and Advanced Conversation. Today for my Advanced Conversation class I had to write two stories and memorize them then stand in front of the class and give a speech. Last weekend was my "first" weekend here, at least my first weekend going out on the town. On Thursday most of our Nebraska group went out to a "Disco" we first went to a pizzeria and watched some of the Perú vs. Uruguay soccer game, ate some pizza then when left to go find a disco or bar and we found a guy who said he would get us in for free and give us a free drink. So of course we went there! We all had a blast! We danced all night long, and the Peruvians loved us!! We were so popular. Then during the day we didn't really do much, I procrastinated doing homework and on Saturday night we went out again. This time it was only Luke, Same and me along with Sam's host brother and his friends. It is custom when you see someone or meet someone you know here to kiss them on the cheek, and I love it! In total there were about 5 Peruvians with us that I met that night so I got a lot of kisses. We went to a club and we ended up leaving after 4 and I got home around 4:30ish. It was a lot of fun! And I would much dance here in Perú than in the USA. We all had a blast. This weekend I hope/think our group will be doing more durning the day. During the week though I stay pretty busy, I don't wake up until about 10 then I'll take a shower or watch TV with my cousin Fanny, finish my homework for the day and eat lunch at about 1 then head to my class that starts at two. Yesterday I walked out to eat lunch and this was there on my plate...

If you know me, I love to fish especially with my grandma. But I hate fish, for some reason I have like a fear of fish and I blame it on my Uncle Randy from when I was little. I will eat fish and I love my grandma's fried fish but I need ketchup (so I'm glad they bought me a bottle of ketchup!). But having the entire fish on my plate, eyeballs and all creeped me out! I also hate dead things so even though it's obviously dead I thought it was going to flop off my plate onto the floor. Ridiculous I know... But I kept laughing at the situation because I knew my family and Randy especially would be giving me a hard time about the situation. After watching María eat it I figured out how to start eating it and was good from there. I folded the skin over the head and that helped a lot. It tasted good! I definitely did not clean it as much as María did but at least I ate most of it... I also like their coffee here! My Mom's side of the family would be so proud :) But I still won't drink coffee at the farm when I come home. The coffee smells the same here but tastes totally different! It's more sweet, then some times María will put milk in it and it's really yummy. I now need to go practice my speech in front of Fanny before class. Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment