Saturday, January 5, 2013

The first day

So, to start off I have never blogged before and Math was my subject in school... not English. So excuse all the lovely grammar and spelling mistakes you will see and excuse the rambling I tend to do that... a lot.
I made it to Peru safe and sound! I was originally supposed to leave on Thursday, January 3rd but at 11:15pm I found out that my flight from Omaha to Houston was cancelled. They switched me to fly out of Omaha on the 4th instead. This worked out fine, it was just a hassle trying to get everything figured out. On the plus side I got a lot of things done that I wouldn't have gotten done, got to eat at Olive Garden for the first time with my mom, and I got to sleep in longer since my flight was supposed to be at 10:10 from Omaha and on the 4th it was at noon! When we got to Houston we had 15 minutes to get to our plane, which of course was on the other side of the airport... All in all it was  good flight, got good food, and I had three seats to myself! My new sister, Liseth picked me up from the airport and we took the hour drive home together.  We didn't talk a lot since I don't speak Spanish very well and we were both really tired. We got home around 1:30 and these lovely flowers were waiting for me!
The next morning I woke up at 7:30 am. If you know me, that never happens... City life is much louder than what I'm used to! I live in a condo and I can hear all the other families close to me. I keep my window open since we don't have air-conditioning and love fresh air. I decided to go back to bed and woke up around 10:00 and unpacked my stuff. I was able to fit my entire life for the next four months into two suitcases. Liseth went to work and the mom, Maria, made us lunch and it was fabulous! She made rice, fried chicken, potatoes and papaya. It was all so yummy!! We did not talk much since I speak hardly any Spanish and she speaks zero English. We could keep a small conversation though but after a sentence or two we both had confused faces towards one another.  Later in the day, Liseth, her cousin and I went to the mall to get me a cell phone. It's really top notch... but at least it's Husker Red! It only cost me $24 so I can't expect too much. While at the mall we ate at pinkberry, it is the exact equivalent to redmango and fairly sure it's the same owners. After driving around town we came home! I'm excited to see what the next couple days, weeks and months will bring me! I'm interested to see how classes go, they start on Monday and orientation is that morning. My classes are from 2-5 every day. One class a day and no class on Friday. I haven't had a freak out session yet, so I'm very excited about that! And so glad that as long as the router is plugged in my internet is reliable. That's all I have for now! If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah you are keeping a blog! Elena and I will read it faithfully - can't wait to hear of your adventures! So glad you are safe - miss you already! Love you! -The Erdley clan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the blog, Kim! I am already looking forward to your next blog post! So happy you made it there safely. Have fun and enjoy the adventure!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete