Thursday, March 14, 2013

Ica, Peru

Yesterday on my walk to school there was a big flood in the road, and because of a gate it would have been difficult to cross without walking through it. I was surprised by the flood because it never rains here and I didn't realize that it did rain. But thankfully some random lady asked if I wanted a ride and of course I said yes! She also gave a ride to some other guy and Luke (who is from NE). Her random act of kindness made my day. Yesterday was also a big day because Eduardo came home! He is my new Peruvian brother. It was so cute to watch everyone great him! When someone arrives at the airport here, it is a family affair. I met another one of my aunts and her family, and also got to see my cousin Fanny and Brenda again. My mom, Maria, is so happy to have her son home again.
This past weekend our NE group went to Ica, Peru and stayed in Las Dunas for 3 days/2nights (Sunday-Tuesday). It was a lot of fun, and the resort was really nice! We rode a bus there from Lima and it ended up being a four hour ride, but it only cost 55 soles ($22) and they fed us. The bus was also very comfy, they played movies and the seats reclined. At the resort we found a lady who for 10 soles/person would be our chauffeur for the day. She took us to a place to go sandboarding (snowboarding in the sand) and ride in Sand Buggies! It was so much fun!! I think it's even better in Peru because it's a lot cheaper than in the USA and they don't have the safety restrictions like they do in the USA (which could be a problem I guess...). But our guide drove us around in the dunes, the boys weren't having the best time with the harness that we had to wear and all the bumps but I was loving life! Then our guide stopped on top of a big dune and we all got out to sandboard. The first hill we went down on our stomachs because it was so big. There was a row of 3 dunes, one after the other, so we wouldn't have to walk up the dune that we rode down. On the 2nd dune I stood up on my board and the 3rd dune I sat down on the board.
 The 1st dune. I never put my feet down so I flew... 
Our sand buggy

After we were disgustingly sandy our chauffeur took us to a winery. It was dark out, but still interesting to see the process. If we had went to the winery the night before we could have helped stomp grapes with our feet, but since we were so sandy it was probably for the best... At the end of our tour I bought two bottles of wine, Borgoña and a Cream (like Bailey's). When we got back to the resort we went swimming and played basketball, a good way to clog the filters and get all the sand off of us!
 Inside the winery

The next day we woke up early, ate our continental breakfast of fruit and bread then got picked up to tour the Ballestas Islands. We ended up having to wait an hour since it was foggy and they closed the port. But I'm glad we waited because when we got to the island it was still foggy at first. The islands are mainly populated with sea lions, birds, and penguins. We also saw some huge, red jelly fish and a spider crab. 
Before the boat ride! Lanisa, Danielle and I

Sea Lions and birds, the water was a rich color of blue
Baby Sea Lions!!
When the tide is high they climb on the rocks then sun bathe when the tide goes down during the day.
Birds! There were so many of them. People go and collect their poop for fertilizer. 

Their version of the Nasca Lines, El Candelabro
 After we returned to Ica some of us went to a Chocolate factory, Helena Chocolates. We couldn't go in and take a tour due to health codes (the first time every being stopped in Peru for a health or safety code). But we bought some chocolate and it was to die for! The best truffles I have ever tasted.

The next day I woke up for breakfast and decided I wanted to go horseback riding since the resort offered it and we didn't have anything planned. Mariah wanted to go with me so we both went, I was surprised that the first time she had ever been horseback riding was the weekend before. It only cost 50 soles ($20) for an hour ride in the desert. We didn't have to wear a helmet and before we left our guide said something about galloping and I said sí and he nodded so I guess it was an ok answer. After we got to the desert I realized what he meant, our horses wanted to gallop and run! I was definitely ok with that, and our guide didn't care what we did. It was the best experience I have ever had riding a horse, and so much better than following a horse on a trail. I could tell in the end I definitely tired my horse out, but oh well, she got a good work out :) ...as did I! After our horseback ride we all ate lunch and got on the bus for Lima. Then it was time to do all my homework....
Mariah and I on our horses.

 Tomorrow morning (Friday) at 6:40am our plane flies out of Lima for our trip to Iquitos/The Amazon Jungle!! I'm starting to get a little sick, probably from the lack of sleep, hopefully I'm better by 6:40am! I can't wait to see the Amazon, but because of all the bugs we have to wear jeans and long sleeves. With the heat index I'm sure we will all be sweating off a few pounds...

No comments:

Post a Comment